It seems the biggest threat to the stability of our PCs are Windows 10 OS updates, with the latest issue being new reports that the Windows 10 October 2018 update is causing PC users to lose sound output from their computer.
Users running into the “No Audio Output Device Is Installed” error find their PCs completely mute after upgrading to Microsoft’s latest version of Windows 10.
The issue appears to be the wrong audio driver being installed, with fortunately only a small number of users affected. Fortunately, the solution is relatively simple.
- Open Device Manager (Open the start menu, type Device Manager and press enter) and select System Devices (close to the end of the list).
- Locate Intel Smart Sound Technology driver (SST).
- Right-click and select Update Driver from the pop-up menu.
- Choose browse my computer for driver software and then Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer and select High Definition Audio.
- Click Next.
- Intel Smart Sound Technology (SST) driver will disappear and you should have Audio back.
Are any of our readers affected? Let us know if this fixed the issue for you?
Update: An official fix is available now.
- How to add devices such as TV, Printer etc. in Windows 10?
Solution 1: How to Add Device in Settings Charm
- 1. Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key+ I
- 2. Click/tap Change PC settings.
- 3. Click/tap PC and devices.
- 4. Click/tap on the Devices.
- 5. Click/tap on Add a device.
Add Audio Device Windows 10
Add Audio Playback Device Windows 10
- 6. When finished, you can close PC settings if you like.
Solution 2: How to Add Device from Power Users Tasks Menu
- 1. Right click on the Windows Start Button then click on the Control Panel.
Add Audio Input Device Windows 10
- Advice: Use Windows Key + X
Add Hdmi Audio Device Windows 10
- 2. Click/tap on the drop down menu of View by: and select 'Category' then click/tap under Hardware and Sound on the 'Add a device'. (See picture bellow)
Find Audio Devices Windows 10
- 3. When finished, you can close the Control Panel window if you like.